Sunday, October 17, 2010

Wallwisher

Wallwisher is an online wall where people can post comments about a certain topic. I used Wallwisher in my classroom as a way for students to answer a "morning question."  I would post a question every morning, and then students would have to get to the wall and post a response.  Sometimes I would post brain teasers, other times I would post personal questions (such as what is a place you'd like to visit on vacation?).

There were several positive things about using Wallwisher to answer the morning question:
  • routine--students knew what to do every morning
  • management--this got students' computers turned on, logged in and ready to go
  • I learned things about my students I wouldn't have otherwise--and they learned about each other, too!
  • Wallwisher also allows you to post pictures with your post--students learned how to find images online and link them to Wallwisher
  • you can also link websites to Wallwisher--one time I asked students to find a useful Web2.0 tool and link to it--again, they learned from each other
  • students helped each other troubleshoot 
  • it could be formal assessment if I wanted it to be--I could post a question asking what is one thing they learned at school yesterday
I loved using Wallwisher as part of my morning routine, but there are lots of other ways to use it, as well.  Here is a quick video tutorial on getting a wall set up:

No comments:

Post a Comment